30 July 2010 @ 12:49Syncing Google Calendar on iPhone with Shared Calendars
I had been wanting to share a calendar with my wife, and have this calendar editable by both of us via our iPhones. It turns out that it is easier than I thought. With iPhone OS v3.0 and later, Apple has built-in support for CalDAV.
To sync with your device, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings application on your device’s home screen.
- Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Select Add Account…
- Select Other.
- Select Add CalDAV Account.
- Enter your account information:
- In the Server field, enter [ google.com ]
- In the Username field, enter your full Google Account or Google Apps email address.
- In the Password field, enter your Google Account or Google Apps password.
- In the Description field, enter the name you’d like to appear on the account.
- Select Next at the top of your screen.
After you’ve completed setup, open the Calendar app on your device and syncing will automatically begin.
By default only your primary calendar will be synced to your device. You can sync additional calendars by visiting the following page from any web browser:
Select the calendars you’d like to sync, and click Save. The selected calendars will display on your device at the time of the next sync.
Now, changes I make to a shared calendar are immediately shown on my wife’s calendar (by immediately, I mean as soon as her calendar finishes refreshing).
Note: Change the calendar sharing settings to allow editing on both ends for selected users.